Community Education-Carbon Monoxide
Welcome to the first of our monthly Community Education articles. We would like to share information about all things EMS that the public can benefit from so that we can best serve you in times of emergencies. With it being the time of year where people are starting up heaters for the first time, we would like to talk about Carbon Monoxide. This article will go over what Carbon Monoxide (CO) is, the signs and symptoms of CO Poisoning, what to do if it is suspected, and monitoring available in your homes.
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, tasteless, and odorless gas that is produced by many household sources. Because of these properties, it is widely known as the “silent killer.” CO is produced from the burning of organic material such as non-electric heaters, car exhaust, and other heating sources. If not properly ventilated, the CO can build up and lead to various symptoms of CO Poisoning.
How does CO work?
CO works by replacing the oxygen in your blood. Hemoglobin in your blood usually carries the oxygen the body uses for all of its functions. When CO is introduced, it bind to the same hemoglobin and keeps oxygen from binding. Because of this, your body doesn’t get the oxygen it needs and that is when the signs and symptoms begin to develop. As CO levels rise, the symptoms become increasingly dangerous.
Signs and Symptoms of CO Poisoning
As mentioned above, symptoms usually start out minor in nature and increase with prolonged exposure and how much is in the environment around you. The base symptoms start as a dull headache or shortness of breath. Since this can be caused by many factors, many people don’t pay attention to these and believe there to be simpler causes. As the CO levels rise, nausea and dizziness occur. It feels like a sudden onset of the flu. Again people tend to think they are coming down with something and let it go. As CO continues to build, the headache becomes severe, vomiting can occur, and fatigue sets in. As more oxygen gets displaced in the body, more severe symptoms show up such as Confusion, increased heart rate, seizures, and even passing out. If left in the environment, it can become fatal!
A good indicator that CO may be present is if multiple people in your household have the same symptoms in a short amount of time or if your pets are also experiencing symptoms.
What to do?
If you think CO is present in your home, do not ever hesitate to call 911 for the Fire Department and EMS to respond. Both Departments have ways to measure if there is CO and be able to provide care for you and your loved ones. If CO is found to be in the home, Oxygen is a great first treatment along with transport to the hospital. Only a blood test can definitively state how much CO is in your blood as it can linger after the symptoms resolve. It may also take time for First Responders to clear your home of the CO and find the source.
How to prevent CO Poisoning?
Many smoke detectors have a dual smoke and CO detection capability and are available at many stores that sell home supplies. There are also specific CO detectors that are sold as well. Remember that these systems will not tell you how much is in the area it is detecting, only that it is present and that if activated, you need to evacuate and call 911. Another great prevention idea is never to use a gas stove or oven to heat your home. Use portable gas camp stoves outdoors only. Use fuel-burning space heaters only when someone is awake to monitor them and doors or windows are open to provide fresh air. Don’t run a generator in an enclosed space, such as the basement or garage. Keep your fuel-burning appliances and engines properly vented. These include:
- Space heaters
- Charcoal grills
- Cooking ranges
- Water heaters
- Portable generators
- Wood-burning stoves
- Car and truck engines
Ask your utility company about yearly checkups for all gas appliances, including your furnace.